March 8, 2012

true love



"Thermodynamic miracles... events with odds against so astronomical they're effectively impossible, like oxygen spontaneously becoming gold..... Until your mother loves a man she has every reason to hate, and of that union, of the thousand million children competing for fertilization, it was you, only you, that emerged. To distill so specific a form from that chaos of improbability, like turning air to gold... that is the crowning unlikelihood. The thermodynamic miracle."
-Mr. Manhattan

I always remember that quote from Watchmen when I think of conception and birth.... about how crazy it is that two people can love each other and with one act, they can create human life. Miracle! is the only word to describe it. man, God is so artsy fartsy

As I held a one-week old infant yesterday, i realized for the first time what the weight of this "miracle" feels like. I couldn't stop staring at him in wonder and awe. How can a human being be so tiny and so shamelessly dependent? Nehemiah is the physical, living and breathing manifestation of love and life-long covenant.  He is being entrusted to his parents, to care for him and fill him up with knowledge and values, etc...

This reminded me about who God is and who I am in relation. God is the benevolent father. I am the creation, completely reliant on Him. (I should relearn that infant-like shamelessness.) And God's true love for us was manifested in the birth of Jesus Christ. He was a symbol of God's forgiveness, peace, generosity, redemption, salvation!

If I (not his mother by any means) can be so pleased at holding this newborn in my arms then how pleased is our God with our birth -our lives? (And yet, how much more can we do to please our Lord and Savior? So much more....)

Sometimes things all start to make sense...
then I lose that rare moment of enlightment.

The world is crazy.

1 comment:

leave me love